Saturday, August 23, 2008

Make Way for the Queen




It's taken some time but I finally finished my Hang UR Imagination doll. At first I didn't have a clue as to what I wanted it to be, but as I continued to wrap the yarn around its head the idea hit that I wanted to honor the women that I saw selling things in the markets of Abijan and Bourke, Ivory Coast, West Africa. Now the outfit she is wearing is a little dressy for the market itself, but you get the idea of the regalness of the women who reign over their stalls like queens. I really enjoyed creating her and I think I just might do another one.

It's hard to believe that she started out as a clothes hanger and a block of wood.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sandi,
I love the hanger doll....must try that! Most happy to see you well and creating!

Hugz
Pam

janice a/k/a earthloczwoman said...

I love her! She is beautiful and regal, just like her creator. It is always amazing to see how 100 women can take the same concept or technique, and create 100 different things. Brava!